Frequently asked questions:
- How many and which are the Agro-fishery Industry Districts in Sicily?
- What do we mean by Production District?
- How do you constitute a District?
- Who is the official authority behind all this?
- Who can apply for project financing aimed to the development of the production district?
- What is the advantage of being a member of the Production District?
- The Citrus District of Sicily;
- The Single Regional Cereal District SWB;
- The Fishing Industry District COSVAP;
- The Beef Production Chain District;
- The Poultry District;
- The Dairy District;
- The Prickly Pear District of the South Calatino Simeto area;
- The Sicilian Sweet District
2). What do we mean by Production District?
The Production District is a group of firms that are integrated through a system of production, technology or service relations, and choose to cooperate instead of acting individually in order to enhance development.
3). How do you constitute a District?
For a district to be constituted it is necessary that a minimum of 50 firms and 150 operators become members, and that these firms also operate within the vertical or horizontal production chain for each sub-sector, including in transnational location areas. The firms sign a pact, a document summarising their ideas to improve quality and enhance the districts development. The subscribers to the pact nominate their representative, who will coordinate the districts activities.
4). Who is the official authority behind all this?
The district is officially recognized by the Regional Department of Industrial Activities. It stays in force for three years, during which it is financed by the Region, but its scope goes beyond the three years financial mandate.
5). Who can apply for project financing aimed to the development of the production district?
Project proposals can be presented by firms (for this purpose they form a Temporary Association of Enterprises, to which take part at least 1/3 of the district firms), by public entities, by associations, by consortia, etc…
In particular, they can involve, for example:
- The institution of district-specific observatories, data banks and study centres;
- Research, development and technology projects;
- Creation of District-specific brands;
- Creation of a District Business Portal;
- To take part in exhibition fairs in Italy and abroad;
- To set up permanent promotional exhibitions abroad;
- Creation of technical laboratories and testing centres;
- Creation of ad hoc management software;
- Precompetitive research in industrial and development activities realized or commissioned by a plurality of aggregated enterprises;
- Remediation and use of dismantled or in process of dismantling industrial sites;
- Promotion and enhancement of tools for the integration of policies in the field of training and employment;
- Commercial promotion of innovative products;
- Realization of works and infrastructures that are closely functional and linked to the strengthening, enhancement and recovery of the territory and areas included in the local system of production.
6). What is the advantage of being a member of the Production District?
In order to face current problems (quality, global markets, replaceability of entrepreneurs, credit, research and innovation, delocalization, training, etc.) enterprises need to work together also with the help of trade unions, local authorities and all those who actively collaborate with firms. The initiatives principle is in fact to reward those who, through a plan for development, succeed in creating a system of enterprises that strengthens the territorial dimension.